Match Report: Ashford United F.C 3-0 Ramsgate F.C

Match Report: Ashford United F.C 3-0 Ramsgate F.C


Ashford began the game on the front foot, dominating possession for the most part.

Ramsgate received a massive let off in the 6th minute, Ashford striker Danny Parrish was put in on goal, though his touch let him down from close range and the ball ricocheted on to his hand - chance blown.

Nick Davis’ side set up in a different shape to usual, a 4-3-3 in attack and 4-5-1 when on the back foot, rather than the usual tried and tested 4-2-3-1 we’ve seen so much this season.

Sam Hasler went close to breaking the deadlock in the 21st minute. After a couple of sloppy moments when in possession, Ashford managed to break away in numbers on the attack. Jay May put a lovely ball into the box from the right-wing which was cleared away by Charlie Dickens, but only into the path of Hasler who rifled a shot just wide of goal.

Ramsgate started the second half brightly, showing signs of promise and an urgency to get on top.

TJ Jadama went agonisingly close to goal in the 50th minute. Rory Smith beat his man on the left-hand side with some good footwork, firing in a floated cross to Jadama who’s volleyed effort inside the box could only go wide.

Danny Parrish gave Ashford the lead in the 53rd minute. Mikey Dalton was at fault, losing possession in a dangerous position on the half way line, allowing Ashford to counter. Parrish was slipped in on goal and slotted the ball past keeper’ Luke Watkins to give them a lead. In the minutes before that though, Ramsgate were on top so to fall behind was a massive blow.

Tom Chapman nearly equalised on the 60th minute, but his flailing effort outside the box was just over the bar, failing to cause the Ashford goalkeeper any problems.

Luke Watkins pulled off a terrific save with 15 minutes to go to keep Ramsgate in with a chance. Ashford’s Clark Woodcock was through on goal and only had the keeper to beat, but Watkins made himself big and kept The Rams in the game.

Danny Parrish bagged his brace with a delicate chip over Watkins in the 87th minute to put the game to bed.

Tom Chapman surged through on goal to chase a loose ball late on in the 89th minute. Chapman beat the keeper’ to the ball and was taken down rather rashly just outside the area. Sam Mott was controversially given a yellow card rather than a red.

Rory Smith hit the post with the resulting free-kick. The Ashford goalkeeper managed to get a finger tip on Smith’s strike to keep out what would have been a consolation goal.

In a bizarre moment of madness, a clearance from Luke Watkins inside his own box deflected off Trey Williams to fly backwards on goal. Toby Ajala was alert to the situation and chased down the ball for a simple tap in, though he was in an off-side position which wasn’t spotted by the officials.


Ramsgate Starting XI: Watkins, Mackenzie, Dickens, Crimmen, Saunders, Gray, TJ Jadama, Dalton (Off 63'), Smith, Chapman, Rowland

Ramsgate Subs: Carvalho (On 63'), Penny, Munday


Ram of the match: TJ Jadama