MATCH REPORT: Ramsgate Agonisingly Held to a Point in 2-2 Draw Against Burgess Hill

MATCH REPORT: Ramsgate Agonisingly Held to a Point in 2-2 Draw Against Burgess Hill


Ramsgate were held to a 2-2 draw away to Burgess Hill in the Isthmian League on Tuesday night. 

The home side took the lead through Pat Harding but an immediate response from Longhurst’s side meant Chapman would equalise to go level heading into the break. 

The roles were reversed in the second-half as late substitute Mitch Chapman put Ramsgate ahead, though an injury time penalty converted by Scott Kirkwood meant the points would be shared. 


Matt Longhurst made 1 change to the side that suffered defeat away to Cray Valley on Saturday.

Henry Arnold started in place of Jamie Maxted following an impressive cameo on the weekend. 

Ollie Gray featured in the squad for the first time since his injury lay-off suffered two months ago.

Aaron Simpson returned to the squad following recent illness but took up a place on the Rams bench.

STARTING XI: Burns, Russo, Starkey, Thomas, Arnold (OFF 87’), Morrish, Norman, Arthurs (OFF 82’), Miller, Chapman (GOAL 39’), Rowland 

SUBS: Maxted (ON 87’), Simpson, Gray, Oliver, M.Chapman (ON 82’ GOAL 86’)


T.Chapman forced Burgess Hill keeper Dan Purdue into an early save, setting the tone from the off. 

Burgess Hill’s Scott Kirkwood hit an effort over from the edge of the 18-yard box, failing to trouble Burns in goal. 

T.Chapman continued to wreak havoc down the right and fired in a promising ball across the six-yard box, but unfortunately nobody could get on the end of it. 

Martyn Box tried to pick out Pat Harding inside the box, but Will Thomas did well to snuff out the danger and clear his lines. 

Harding then fired one over from close range - a let off for Ramsgate. 

The number 10 was given another opportunity to give his side the lead and he didn’t disappoint this time for Burgess Hill, finishing into the bottom left corner. 

T.Chapman replied instantly for The Rams, equalising with a difficult tap-in at the back post after a wonderful set-piece delivery from Henry Arnold, making things level at the break. 

Ramsgate upped the tempo for the second-half, dominating from the off. 

Arthurs whipped in a cross towards the back post and nearly found itself in the back of the net as keeper Dan Purdue watched stranded to the spot at the hour mark. 

Arthurs then had a golden opportunity to put his side ahead moments later but his effort from 12-yards was courageously blocked wide. 

The Rams kept the pressure on in search for a winning-goal, and Miller perhaps should’ve done better with a chance in the 72nd minute, breaking through on goal from the left before his effort was saved by the on-rushing goalkeeper. Miller tried to play Chapman in on the follow up but Burgess Hill had recovered by that point and cleared the danger. 

Matt Longhurst brought Mitch Chapman on with 10 minutes to go and he didn’t let his manager down, scoring to give Ramsgate a 2-1 lead following another exquisite set-piece corner delivery from Henry Arnold.

But The Rams couldn’t hold on. The referee awarded Burgess Hill a controversial penalty in injury time for a supposed handball, and Scott Kirkwood had no issue converting to save a point for his side. 

FT: Burgess Hill Town 2-2 Ramsgate FC