MATCH REPORT: Ramsgate Catch Whitehawk by Surprise to Earn a Hard-Fought Point in 2-2 Draw

MATCH REPORT: Ramsgate Catch Whitehawk by Surprise to Earn a Hard-Fought Point in 2-2 Draw


Ramsgate FC managed to surprise league contenders Whithawk FC this afternoon, coming back from two goals down to draw 2-2. 

A first-half double from Duane Ofori-Acheampong dealt a hammer blow to Longhurst’s side but an inspired second-half performance meant the points would be shared on Saturday afternoon. 


Matt Longhurst made two changes to the side that drew to Whitstable Town last Saturday.

New signings Jamie Maxted and Girogio Russo both made starts, replacing Michael Turner and Henry Arnold.

Ollie Gray was the only notable absentee this afternoon as the midfielder is still struggling with a hamstring injury.

STARTING XI: Burns, Russo, Starkey, Maxted, Simpson, Norman, Morrish, Arthurs, Miller, Chapman (GOAL 72’), Rowland

SUBS: Arnold, Robinson, Haidary, Oliver, Mitford


Miller had a couple of chances to open the scoring early on as one effort from 25-yards whiskered past the post and another from inside the box curled just wide. 

Then Whitehawk skipper Henry Muggeridge failed to capitalise on a defensive error at the back, hitting his shot wide of the top right corner.  

Only a couple of minutes later the deadlock was broken and the visitors took the lead. Jordan Gibbons delivered a pin-point cross to Ofori-Acheampong at the front post and he had no trouble heading in to put his side ahead. 

Starkey was presented with an opportunity inside the box after Whitehawk failed to clear their lines following a corner, but his snap-shot under pressure brushed the side netting. 

Matters went from bad to worse on the stroke of half-time as Ofori-Acheampong headed in his second of the match from a corner. The striker was left unmarked inside the box. 

Ramsgate came out for the second-half with a point to prove. After some smart combination play between Rowland and Arthurs, the latter found himself in a goalscoring position inside the box but the onrushing keeper was quick off his line to deny the midfielder. 

The Rams were rewarded with a moment of fortune early on in the half. An Aaron Simpson cross deflected in off Whitehawk defender Marvin Hamilton, though nobody can say it wasn’t deserved. 

Miller lined up an ambitious effort from 30-yards but it was blocked and fell to Rowland inside the penalty area. His volleyed effort at a tight-angle went wide. 

Ofori-Acheampong should’ve picked up his hat-trick when one-on-one with Burns but his arrogance cost him. The striker tried to chip Burns in style and it went well-wide. 

Chapman had a wonderful opportunity to equalise in the 66th minute after getting on the end of Miller’s low-cross but keeper James Broadbent came to Whitehawk’s rescue, denying the forward. 

Ramsgate were persistent and relentless and eventually got what was deserved - an equaliser! Arthurs lost his marker inside the box and floated a cross towards Chapman at the back post who headed home. But that wasn’t good enough for Ramsgate. The ball was back on the half-way line in next to no time in search of a winner. 

The match-winning goal wouldn’t come for the mighty Rams but the mentality shown to get over a disappointing two-goal deficit against a side competing for the league and promotion, and yet go in search for a winner with a quarter of an hour left to go, was incredible. 

By far Ramsgate’s best performance of the season. 

FT: Ramsgate FC 2-2 Whitehawk FC