Match Report: Ramsgate FC 1-2 Sittingbourne FC

Match Report: Ramsgate FC 1-2 Sittingbourne FC


Ramsgate suffered a second league defeat in as many games after falling short against Sittingbourne FC on Monday afternoon. 

Sittingbourne took the lead early on in the first half - Roman Campbell the goal scorer. 

Steve Smith did equalise for The Rams as the half drew to a close, but a second half winner from Campbell ensured the visitors ran out 1-2 winners at Southwood. 


Nick Davis’ side struggled to get going to begin with, and Sittingbourne were on top. 

In the 19th minute, Roman Campbell fired The Brickies into the lead from close-range. Lewis Chambers’ long throw into the box caused the defence a problem, and although that initial threat was dealt with, Sittingbourne’s Josh Oliver was able to pick up the second ball. His scuffed shot on goal fell precisely into the path of Campbell and the striker was never going to miss. 

It took 39 minutes for Ramsgate to register their first effort on target. Aaron Lamont tested the keeper at a tight angle inside the box on the left, but he had no real trouble keeping it out. 

A couple of minutes later, Lamont was in the thick of the action again. This time, a long-range effort from 25-yards failed to force a save from the keeper, flying over the bar. But, it was a sign of better things to come. 

Ramsgate were gifted an opportunity to equalise as the first half drew to a close when Tom Chapman’s shot on the edge of the box was judged to have struck the hand of the Sittingbourne defender. Steve Smith converted from the penalty spot to score his first league goal for The Rams.

HT: Ramsgate FC 1-1 Sittingbourne FC


Jack Morrell went agonisingly close to giving Ramsgate the lead at the hour mark. After a surging run from the midfield, the full-back found himself in a good position on the edge of the box and his volleyed effort whiskered past the post. 

Aaron Lamont also went close to goal 5 minutes later. His shot on the edge of the box forced a great save from Stefan Lawrence to keep the scores level. 

Roman Campbell got his second of the match late on in the match. After Will Godmon dropped the ball and picked it back up, the referee awarded an indirect free-kick to Chris Lynch’s side. Campbell executed his shot perfectly and stormed the visitors into a 1-2 lead. 

Despite being on top for the entire second-half and numerous attacks in the final third earning no reward, Ramsgate fell to defeat. Even an acrobatic effort from Tom Chapman, which struck the bar, wouldn’t go in to scupper a point. A day of misfortune. 

FT: Ramsgate FC 1-2 Sittingbourne FC

Starting XI: Godmon, Paxman, Wynter, Friend, Morrell, Carrington, Monger (OFF 82’), Lamont (OFF 75’), R.Smith (OFF 70’), Chapman, S.Smith (GOAL 42’)

Subs: Cornwell (ON 82’), Miller (ON 70’), Rowland (on 75’), Robinson

Ram of the Match: Tom Chapman

Attendance: 208