Match Report: Ramsgate F.C 2-2 Cray Wanderers F.C

Match Report: Ramsgate F.C 2-2 Cray Wanderers F.C


Ramsgate started well and had their first chance of the game after 1 minute of action - Ollie Gray with a long range effort that he struck sweetly from 25-yards, forcing Cray’s keeper’ Nick Blue to make a decent stop.

Wanderers’ Joe Taylor went agonisingly close to goal in the 8th minute, unleashing a great left-footed effort on the edge of the box that went wide - a whisker away from the post.

Joe Taylor did however give Cray a 1-0 lead in the 11th minute, scoring a header from close range after Bradley Pritchard delivered a lovely ball into the box from the right-hand side. Taylor was unmarked and simply couldn’t miss.

Gil Carvalho found space on the left and charged through the middle to create some space for a shot, Cray failed to halt his run and allowed him to take a punt from 20-yards. It was a decent attempt on goal that troubled the goalkeeper who could only parry the shot but no Ramsgate player could follow it up.

Tom Chapman, with a moment of brilliance, equalised after 26 minutes. Rory Smith ran down the right-wing and placed the ball straight into the path of Chapman on the edge of the box, who hit a wonderful effort with his weaker left foot into the top corner. Unstoppable.

Cray’s Sammy Dadson managed to find a way through on goal and had an empty net to slot into on the 32nd minute but Jacob Mensah somehow managed to throw his body on to the floor and in front of the ball to clear off the line. Dadson then followed up his effort with another shot on goal that was saved by Watkins and on to the bar. A third effort was on goal and courageously blocked by Wheatley before a fourth and final effort was blocked and out for a corner. And breathe. Still level somehow.

With the last kick of the first half, Joe Taylor will be wondering how he didn’t score. Luke Watkins was called to action who made an outstanding reaction save to keep it level at the break.

Ramsgate began the second half immediately on the front foot. A deflected shot from Kane Rowland in the 46th minute fell into the path of Rory Smith inside the box whose attempt on goal was scuffed, failing to trouble the keeper. Massive opportunity missed.

But despite the strong start to the half from Nick’s side, Cray took the lead in the 51st minute after Sammy Dadson found space on the left before cutting inside and hitting his effort powerfully past Luke Watkins.

Gil Carvalho managed to miss the target from 2-yards out in what looked like a certain goal. It was great link-up play between Kane Rowland and Tom Chapman, the latter smashing a dangerous ball into the box that Carvalho couldn’t convert from close range. Cray amazingly still in the lead after 62 minutes.

But only for another 11 minutes. This time, Gil Carvalho did score! Smith whipped a quality ball into the box which Rowland flicked onto Gil who, despite missing from a yard before, simply couldn’t miss this time.

Watkins was called to action once again in the 81st minute. Cray’s Joe Taylor was through on goal but Watkins made himself big, got down fast and kept the score at 2-2.

The game ended and the points were shared, but to come back from a goal down on two separate occasions and to get a point against top of the table Cray is a massive credit to the team.


Starting XI: Watkins, Mackenzie (Off 82'), Wheatley, Mensah, Saunders, Gray, Sanders (Off 59'), Smith (Off 88'), Chapman (Goal 28'), Carvalho (Goal 73'), Rowland

Subs: Dickens (On 82'), Stannard (On 88'), TJ Jadama (On 59'), Birch


Ram of the match: Gil Carvalho