Match Report: Ramsgate FC U12's 5-0 East Kent Soccer School U12's

Match Report: Ramsgate FC U12's 5-0 East Kent Soccer School U12's


Sunday's match began with a minute’s silence for Paul Connell (Hard Drive) who sadly lost his life this week, and this was observed with the upmost respect by both sets of players and supporters. 

Ramsgate started the game brightly retaining the ball well and dominating possession. Both full backs, Morgan and Maisey, were key to this bright start, pressing high up the pitch and making good forward runs to support Austin and Flint on the wings.

Despite the promising start, Ramsgate came across a resolute EKSS playing a deep defensive line and limiting Ramsgate to long range efforts, on the occasions that Flint, Purdy and Austin got behind the back four the chances went begging. 

The midfield battle was being won by Gibb and Wood that allowed McColl to operate in a more advanced role playing just off Purdy, this partnership worked well with McColl and Purdy testing the keeper on serval occasions.

In fact, it was this partnership that led to the first goal, after Maisey and Flint combined well on the right before the ball went inside to wood who played a smart one two with Gibb before playing into Purdy’s feet who’s first time touch off to McColl was timed to perfection. In two touches McColl moved the ball from under his feet before lobbing the ball over the keeper from 25yards. 

Shortly after the goal Hughes entered the field. It was clear he had a point to prove after starting on the bench and he worked hard as the lone striker making runs into the channels to support both Purdy and Austin. He got his reward for the hard work with 15 to go in the first half after a move started with Hammond and Webster coolly playing out from the back into the feet of Gibb in midfield that played the ball to Morgan via Wood. Morgan then, after beating his man, slid the ball down the line to Austin who took on two before cutting back to McColl who’s blocked shot came back out to Hughes who lobbed the ball over the advancing Keeper to make it two. 

As the half advanced it was clear that the new centre back partnership of Webster and Hammond was working well with Hammond commanding in the air and Webster winning any second balls. Not only did the pair command the back line but always looked to play out from the back not once giving the ball away. 

Chances continued to come and go as the half came towards an end with the best falling to Flint after the midfield 3 combined well before McColl’s defensive splitting pass sent Flint free after a perfectly timed run to beat the offside trap, however he came across a brave keeper that came rushing off his line to dive at Flint’s feet, this was perfectly timed taking the ball and Flint in one motion. 

It was fair to say that the good work of Morgan, Hammond, Webster and Maisey at the back combined with Wood and Gibb in midfield left Gowland little to do in goal. However, he remained focused claiming the ball well when called upon and acting as a sweeper allowing the back four to play a higher line, his distribution was also key to the team remaining on the front foot hitting 30-yard passes to feet for fun. 

The second half followed the same pattern as the first with the boys combining well all over the field and looking comfortable on the ball, and it wasn’t long before McColl added a third after Morgan and Austin played their way out of a tight position on the left, before a ball inside to Wood allowed him to switch the play to Purdy that first had the strength to hold of his man before smartly flicking the ball around him to the on rushing Maisey who’s cross was header out to the edge of the area to McColl, who with two touches despatched the ball into the top corner from the edge of the area. 

Morgan grabbed Ramsgate’s fourth, starting with Hammond winning the ball at the back and passing to his defensive partner Webster that moved the ball quickly to Gibb who played a smart one two with Wood. Gibb then beat his man with some good footwork before finding Hughes that laid the ball out to Austin, who left his man standing with some silky skills before cutting back to Morgan 25 yards out, Morgan then drove at the heart of the defence playing one two’s with both McColl and Hughes on the way to sliding the ball under the keeper. 

While Ramsgate continued to push, Masters remained focused in goal and while there was not much work to do with his hands, his footwork was good and always gave an option for the defence, ending the game with perfect pass completion rate. 

On another day with better finishing and decision making the score could have been higher, also the keeper pulled off several good saves to stop Hughes, Austin, Flint and Purdy increasing the score. 

As the game was drawing to an end Ramsgate continued to push and finished the game with a further goal, this came after a good passage of play down the right involving Purdy, Flint and Maisey that ended with Maisey’s cross falling to Wood to volley past the keeper to score his first goal since his switch from Margate. 

Hughes’ hard work continued in the closing stages and he was unlucky not to add to the score with the keeper denying him on serval occasions along with the outside of the post. 

I would like to thank EKSS as they battled until the end and worked hard. They didn’t stop trying and their resolute defending frustrated the Ramsgate forwards on a number of occasions. 

Again, this week it was hard to pick out a man of the match, with all the boys across the back four playing well not only doing their defensive duties but also looking to support attacking play at every opportunity, Wood and Gibb also worked hard in midfield as did, Austin, Flint and Purdy on the wings. But McColl was a constant threat and his two goals took him to six in six since his move from Margate just giving him the edge. 


Starting XI: Gowland, Maisey, Hammond, Webster, Morgan, Flint, Gibb, McColl, Austin, Purdy

Subs: Hughes, Masters