MATCH REPORT: Ramsgate Fire Four Past Ebbsfleet to Progress Into Quarter-Finals (Rams 4-0 Ebbsfleet)

MATCH REPORT: Ramsgate Fire Four Past Ebbsfleet to Progress Into Quarter-Finals (Rams 4-0 Ebbsfleet)


Ramsgate thumped four past Ebbsfleet United on Tuesday night to advance into the quarter-finals of the Kent Senior Cup. 

Second half goals from Kane Rowland, Nick Treadwell and debutant Charlie Meade secured the victory on the night. 


Matt Longhurst made four changes to the side that suffered a 4-2 defeat against Burgess Hill on Saturday. 

Coyne returned to the side after a couple of weeks out whilst Haidary, Mitford and Shonk also made starts, replacing Treadwell, Bancroft, Rowland and Starkey. 

Chapman remained out injured with a wrist injury and Arthurs was unavailable as he was cup-tied having already played in the competition for Bromley this season. Saunders failed a late fitness test.

STARTING XI: Burns, M.Turner, Gray (OFF 60’), Thomas, Coyne, Haidary, Bode, Norman, Miller (OFF 87’), Shonk (OFF 69’), Mitford

SUBS: Brooks, J.Turner, Treadwell (GOAL 79’ ON 60’), Rowland (GOAL 72’ 88’ ON 69’), Meade (GOAL 89’ ON 87’)


Mitford had a couple of early opportunities on the break, testing Ebbsfleet goalkeeper Harrison Firth on two occasions. Then U18 striker Charlie Shonk dragged a low effort wide of the far post. 

Ebbsfleet’s Kakha Gogsheldize lined up an ambitious shot on goal from 30-yards and his strike nearly caused The Rams goalkeeper a problem, rising just over the bar. Good effort.

Fleet keeper Firth nearly cost his side a goal on the cusp of half-time. He wanted too much time on the ball and with Miller charging at him at full speed, the Rams forward intercepted his attempted pass across field, but luckily for him the ball ran out of play.

Ramsgate came flying out of the blocks for the second half as Bode struck a dangerous volleyed effort at goal from 20-yards which was well handled by Firth.

Gray was forced off through injury at the hour mark and he was replaced by Treadwell, who nearly marked his grand entrance with a goal from a resulting corner. The midfielder needed better connection on his header, instead glancing it wide. 

Rowland, who had only been on the pitch for less than 3 minutes, broke the deadlock to fire Longhurst’s side into the lead. Mitford did well to break away from the defender and set up Rowland, cutting inside to place into the back of the net with his left-foot. 

Rowland had another effort inside the box outstandingly saved by the Ebbsfleet keeper and that was followed up by an outstretched arm in the top corner to deny Treadwell again. 

Treadwell did have it in the back of the net with a quarter of an hour to go, finishing at the back post, but the linesman had his flag up for off-side. His moment did come though eventually as just a couple of minutes later, Norman’s corner delivery was tapped in by Treadwell, who honestly could’ve had a hat-trick on the night. 

Rowland grabbed his second of the night in the closing stages of the match, but it was Charlie Meade who stole all the headlines for his late goal having been on the pitch for just two minutes. The 17-year old forward, who is also part of the Dover Athletic Academy, marked his debut in fine style.