MATCH REPORT: Ramsgate Settle for a Point Against Whitstable Town in 1-1 Draw

MATCH REPORT: Ramsgate Settle for a Point Against Whitstable Town in 1-1 Draw


Ramsgate was held to a 1-1 draw away to Whitstable Town on Saturday afternoon. 

Tom Chapman opened the scoring to fire The Rams ahead, but Harry Stannard’s second half equaliser meant the points would be shared. 

The result means Ramsgate remain 19th in the table, two points behind Three Bridges following their defeat to East Grinstead this afternoon.


Matt Longhurst made three changes to the side that lost to Herne Bay on Tuesday evening. 

Michael Turner returned, replacing Harrison Pont. Club captain, Kane Rowland, also returned for Matty Robinson.

New signing Henry Arnold made his full debut this afternoon in place of Will Thomas, whilst Josh Oliver, who also joined in the week, took up a place on the bench.

Tyrell Mitford was deemed fit enough to be in the squad but Ollie Gray was still an absentee.

STARTING XI: Burns, Turner, Starkey, Morrish, Simpson, Norman, Arthurs, Chapman (GOAL 16’ OFF 82’), Miller (OFF 89’), Arnold, Rowland

SUBS: Treadwell (ON 82’), Robinson, Haidary, Oliver, Mitford (ON 89’)


It was a relatively slow start for both sides as neither threatened early on. But, Tom Chapman, who took up a central role today, put Ramsgate ahead with his first goal of the season after recovering from a serious wrist injury. Debutant Henry Arnold picked out Chapman through the middle and he rounded the keeper to place into an empty net.

Miller went close with a low-driven effort at goal following a smart short corner and then at the other end of the pitch Whitstable’s Tijan Jadama had an extraordinary effort from 25-yards smash the woodwork. 

Arthurs dragged a shot wide after he was picked out by Arnold at the back post, but the linesman had his flag up for off-side anyway. Then, former Ram Harry Stannard shanked an effort well over the bar from close-range. 

Arnold floated a wonderful cross goalwards but it was too far a stretch for Rowland who desperately tried to make contact and the chance went begging.

After what was a frustrating first-half for Lloyd Blackman’s side, it took just four minutes of second-half action to equalise. It was a pure moment of brilliance from Stannard who converted his free-kick from 30-yards, brushing the side netting to leave goalkeeper Charlie Burns without a chance. 

Ramsgate had a penalty appeal controversially turned down by the referee after Arthurs was brought down inside the 18-yard box. 

Whitstable’s John Ufuah had the best chance of the half on the edge of the box, forcing Burns to produce a good save and keep the score level.

Neither could find the match winner and the points were shared in what proved to be a massive improvement on Tuesday night’s performance against Herne Bay.