MATCH REPORT: Ramsgate Stumble to 3-2 Defeat Against Promotion-Chasers Whyteleafe FC

MATCH REPORT: Ramsgate Stumble to 3-2 Defeat Against Promotion-Chasers Whyteleafe FC


Ramsgate Football Club fell to a 3-2 defeat away to Whyteleafe FC on Saturday afternoon at Church Road. 

Andrew Sesay opened the scoring for Whyteleafe but Tom Chapman’s double in quick succession put The Rams ahead briefly. 

Corie Andrews equalised for the home side to head into the break level but Freddie Parker’s second-half effort ensured all three points for Whyteleafe. 


Matt Longhurst made one change to the side that drew to Whitehawk FC last week. 

Will Thomas returned to the starting line-up for the suspended Jamie Maxted following the defender’s two-game ban. 

Meanwhile Ollie Gray was the only notable absentee this afternoon as the midfielder is still struggling with a hamstring injury.

STARTING XI: Burns, Russo (OFF 84’), Starkey, Thomas, Simpson, Norman, Morrish, Arthurs, Miller (OFF 45’), Rowland (OFF 84’), Chapman (GOAL 6’ 9’)

SUBS: Arnold (ON 45’), Oliver (ON 84’), Robinson (ON 84’), Haidary, Mitford


Whyteleafe took an early lead through Andrew Sesay after he was slipped in on goal and smashed an effort into the bottom right corner. 

But Ramsgate’s reply was instant as Chapman capitalised on an error by Leafe goalkeeper Tyler McCarthy, firing into the roof of the net from a few yards. 

Chapman bagged his second of the match very shortly after as Miller whipped the ball in from the left to pick out Arthurs inside the box, but his volley was saved into the path of Chapman at the back post and he hammered in. 

Corrie Andrews was on hand to equalise, rising highest inside the penalty area to direct his header into the bottom right corner. Controversy surrounded the goal as there were strong claims that Miller was brought down unjustly before hand but the referee decided no action would be taken...

The home side regained their lead in the 56th minute thanks Freddie Parker and then Giorgio Russo was forced into a superb goal line clearance to deny Andrew Sesay his second of the match on the counter. 

It wasn’t until the 80th minute that Ramsgate had their first effort of the second-half on target, perfectly summing up the lack of chances. 

FT: Whyteleafe FC 3-2 Ramsgate FC